Concept Refinement

    Last class, I pitched my idea for a magazine and got valuable feedback from the class. I was told to research the online magazine called The Advocate and gauge the similarity between that concept and my idea. I did some research on that and explored the website to get a grasp of the concept. What I got from the website was that overall, it was a magazine that was targeted towards the LGBTQ+ community, something in common with mine, but it seemed very outdated and targeted towards millennials. It was also unorganized and seemed very clickbait-y. I think my idea will be different because it will be targeted towards a wider age range by having articles that showcase people of all ages. It will also be organized better based on the topic of the article. 

    Some of the advice from assigned articles was very helpful when I was thinking over my concept: the successful magazines and literature are relevant. This is important because there are very few successful pieces of literature in comparison to everything created, and one way to make it successful is make connections to relevant issues. My magazine will focus on current events, specifically intersectional issues that affect people today. 

    The assigned article supports my concept because it discusses a lack of diversity in writing. Straight white men predominately control the writing field, and because of this, perspective can be narrowed. Having more people of color, queer people, and womxn in this field would bring a wider and more interesting point of view, and impact more people. My magazine would tackle the lack of representation specific to queer people.

 

Comments